Indigo and Blue: Saturday July 20- Sunday 28

“Death is not the end; it is putting out the candle because the dawn has come.” Thus spake Pres. Hugh B. Brown. And thus echo I.

Upon returning to Utah, I took the train down to Lehi and Kimball picked me up. We made it to my van, grabbed some grub at Costa Vida, and then headed to Riverton for the funeral of Lawson’s father, Dan Lighten. I am so thankful I could go. I left tearful, yet very inspired and uplifted. Lawson did a fantastic job, and I felt proud to know him. It’s crazy to think that only two weeks before I had seen Dan, and never would have guessed that his time on earth was almost done. Since late 2018, the family has known the time was near. So many of those we pass are struggling with things we can’t imagine, and yet never complain or make a scene. I pray that the Lighten family will be comforted during this time. 

Returning to Provo after, I had half an hour to get ready and then picked up my date, Kathryn, to head to the Pioneer Day concert. My roommate Tyler and his girlfriend Cat joined us. We made it to the Conference Center just barely before the start (I may or may not have driven down the wrong side of a road attempting to find the parking garage…). The concert featured the Norwegian singer, Sissel, and she was fantastic! Elegant, genuine, and powerful. Some of the songs were in norweigan, and the program also featured a medley of old railroad songs. My favorite was “How Great Thou Art,” sung in both english and norwegian. It was a fantastic date, and we seemed to get along fantastically. She is one of thirteen children, and grew up on a small farm in Orem. Recently graduated in Global Supply Chain management and working as a consultant, she actually served in the Tempe Mission at the same time as me, but our paths never crossed. 

Sunday I invited a few friends over, grilled some steaks (poorly this time) and made rice and beans. Colored by a “vinagarette” salad, and spiced up with some farofa, it was a good Brazilian meal. Between lots of trips, this was my quiet week.

Tuesday saw the return of our Come Follow Me group. We had a good turnout, joined for the first time by another ward member, Tammy, and great insightful discussion. 

I was pleasantly surprised to receive a text from Pres. Young asking if he could buy two pies. I made them Saturday morning and then Kimball and I drove to drop them off. It was a brief hello, and then we headed over to the oldest remaining golf course in Utah, Nibley Park, which was nearby. The land had been donated in the 1920’s with the condition that it stay a golf course, or be returned to the family. The city has grown much since then, and now the course is an urban oasis, surrounded by multi-lane roads on all sides. Nevertheless, heavily wooded, it feels completely different. It has remained very characteristic of the era it was built with raised greens sloping off on all sides. And being in the city, it is impossible to lengthen it anymore, so many of the holes only played to 300-350 yards. Which meant I could drive a couple, which is always fun. The weather was perfect, and we had a great time.

For the fourth Sunday, the Elders Quorum Presidency taught during the second hour of church. We split into three groups, and Jacob, Dillon, and I each led discussions for one of the three groups. The conference talk we studied for the week was Elder Quentin Cook’s, “Great Love for Our Father’s Children.” In our group, we ended up focusing on some verses in 1 John. One of these was 1 John 4:18-21:

“There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear: because fear hath torment. He that feareth is not made perfect in love.We love him him, because he first loved us. If a man say, I love God, and hateth his brother, he is a liar: for he that loveth not his brother whom he hath seen, how can he love God whom he hath not seen? And this commandment have we from him, That he who loveth God loveth his brother also.”

And now my all-time favorite line from a movie:

“The only way to be happy is to love. Unless you love, your life will flash by.”

Love is the key. I know that if we ask for the gift of charity and earnestly seek to develop it, God will bless us with it. And if we serve our fellow men, we will one day stand before God, see his face, and be able to say that we love Him.

One thought on “Indigo and Blue: Saturday July 20- Sunday 28”

  1. Dear Hunter,

    It is always fun to receive your letters. You really enjoy your life and what you are doing. Kathryn is very pretty, and glad you all had a nice time.

    I just returned from Charleston on Friday evening about 7:30. My plane was delayed three hours, but I had been in the airport since 10:00 in the morning and left at 4PM for Boston. I did a lot of reading and finally finished my book on the plane.

    Charleston was wonderful. It was very hot and humid, but we spent most of the time in A/C which was great. We toured the city by bus and later a carriage ride through the city. So much fun, and the girl who narrated the trip for us was so sweet. She had just become engaged but told us a secret–that they had married on Saturday and are working on his green card. He is from Australia. In September, she is planning a big wedding.

    We saw the beautiful homes, cobblestone streets, lovely window boxes, etc. We went on a dinner cruise and had a wonderful meal. I had salmon with mashed potatoes and succotash which was actually green beans and corn. The soup was she-crab soup which is so yummy and full of calories. I have the recipe, so I may try to make it some time and invite some friends in to share it with me. It was a beautiful evening and relaxing. We also visited the USS Yorktown which is an aircraft carrier. We had our memorial service on the fantail of the ship. It was warm, but there was a slight breeze. ; Later, we toured the ship and then had lunch in the mess hall down below–more stairs to descend and climb up again. Our meal was pulled pork with a choice of barbecue or mustard sauce. I opted for the first one. We also went to Fort Sumter. I couldn’t really walk around there because of the heat and more stairs. My left thigh hurt for three days.

    We had special entertainment on Thursday morning for just the women, as the men had their business meeting. We had a woman who spoke about the Gullah/Geechie culture–the slaves, how hard they worked, and also the making of sweetgrass baskets which are very pretty. She sang for us and spoke to us in Gullah–which is very very fast. If you are lucky, you can make out some of the words. She was awesome.

    There was a new member there who was on the USS Albany at the same time Uncle David was, but they were in different divisions, so he probably didn’t know Uncle David. His name was Joe Otto and he is from Minnesota. His daughter came with him as well. He ended up being with four of us–my friends Rosie and Donna, me and my cousin Loraine. He was known as Joe with his four ladies. He was so grateful and thankful for us to help him have a wonderful time at the reunion. He also bought a USS Albany denim shirt which he wore for a couple of days. We are all now on FB with his daughter, Mary Beth.

    We had a lovely banquet Thursday night, and Friday morning was an early breakfast with goodbyes until the next reunion which will be in Warwick, RI. I only have to drive there which is awesome.

    On Saturday, I did two loads of wash, paid some bills, had a little something for lunch, went to some entertainment and then social hour and dinner. I slept well on Friday night, although I didn’t go to bed until very late. My cat, Annabelle, woke me up so she could be fed. She stayed close by me when I came home–she missed her Mommy.

    Take care, and keep those wonderful letters coming.

    Lots of love,

    Aunt Shirley

Leave a Reply